Mushroom poisoning

Hallucinogenic mushroom poisoning in pets is on the rise since Denver voters approved the decriminalization of “magic” mushrooms. It is not as common as marijuana, but it is occurring. And it is very dangerous.

“Magic” mushrooms contain psilocybin and psilocin, which are related to LSD. Because the mushrooms are bitter, they are often dipped in chocolate or alcohol or made into a tea. This makes them even more enticing to your pet.

If you suspect your pet has gotten into mushrooms, you must seek vet care immediately. Some signs to watch for are:

  • Vocalization (whining or howling)
  • Dilation of the pupils
  • Balance problems
  • Increased respiratory rate
  • Disorientation
  • Hypothermia
  • Anxiety
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
Treatment

Treatment will usually be based on the symptoms. If you have seen your pet get into mushrooms and you quickly got him into the vet, his stomach can be “pumped”. If you are not sure when it happened, they may stay pump her stomach, along with lab testing and medication to control the agitation and heart rate. Ongoing monitoring of renal and glucose values may also be warranted, until she is in the clear.

Unless the amount ingested was large, most pets will be symptom free, after treatment, in 12 hours.

As always, contact us with any questions. staff@gentletouchanimalhospital.com or 303.691.3720