Holiday Safety For Your Pet

 

images (1)It’s the time of year when we all get caught up in the hustle and bustle. It can be easy to get so busy that we forget about the added dangers to our furry family members. This list is a quick reminder of things for you to look out for to make sure you ensure holiday safety for your pet. For a more complete list visit the pet poison helpline at www.petpoisonhelpline.com

 

  • Greenery: poinsettias, lilies, holly and mistletoe are the most commonly seen plants at this time of year. Lillie’s are so toxic that even the water it sits in can cause kidney failure in cats. If your pet gets in to any of these plants, see your veterinarian immediately.

 

  • Food: anything that is high in fat can cause gastroenteritis in your pet. In more severe cases it will cause pancreatitis, which will requirdownloade hospitalization to manage. Do not feed them table food. Items that are toxic that they can easily accidentally get in to include grapes, raisins, chocolate (any variety including cocoa powder), xylitol (found in sugarless gum and candy), onions and garlic.

 

  • Alcohol and marijuana: with marijuana being legal in many states, we are seeing more and more overdose in pets. Watch the edibles closely!images

 

images

 

  • Outdoors: Use pet safe ice melt only. If your furry family member does walk through standard ice melt, be sure to wipe down their paws before they have a chance to lick them. It can be very toxic as well as cause burns on their pads.

 

Remember, this list is not all inclusive so be sure to just use common sense. If your furry family member does get in to something, and you are not sure if it is harmful, be sure to call you vet. If you are in the Denver area feel free to reach out to us at www.gentletouchanimalhospital.com or 303.691.3720. Otherwise call the pet poison hotline at 800.213.6680.

Have a safe, healthy, happy holiday season to all of our 2 legged and 4 legged friends!images (2)