Marijuana poisoning is on the rise in pets.
We don’t know if marijuana poisoning is on the rise because more people are coming forward with sick pets due to it being legalized in Colorado, or if it is truly happening more often because more people now have it in the house. The major culprit tends to be the edibles that are attractive to your furry family members. We have seen it in cookies, brownies, ice cream, pizza, candy, caramel corn and almost anything else you can think of! If the baked good includes chocolate or raisins, it is even worse. The Pet Poison Hotline reports an increase in calls in the last 5 years by 330%! http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/pet-safety-tips/pets-and-pot-poisoning-cases-at-an-all-time-high/ At the hotline, 98% of the reported case are dogs, but some cats cases have been reported as well. Not only edible ingestion, but 1 cat was in the room while it was being smoked, and inhaled the vapors.
Signs to watch for if you suspect your pet has been poisoned by marijuana:
- Glassy eyed
- Dazed expression
- Acting uncoordinated
- Dribbling urine
It is imperative that you seek medical attention as soon as you spot any unusual behavior in your furry family member. Thankfully, if treated, marijuana poisoning is rarely fatal.
As always, if you have any questions, feel free to contact Gentle Touch Animal Hospital at 303.691.3720 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Your pets are family. Get them the care they deserve.Request Appointment